Killing Writers Block Before It Kills You

My cousin, Nikolus, who’s in Scotland earning a Masters in poetry, asked me what technique I used for overcoming writers block. “Which type?” I replied.

Since there’s no ONE cause, there’s no ONE answer. As I told Nikie (he'll always be little Nickie to me), I need to know the cause to know the cure. Here are the top 3 types I’ve coached clients on overcoming...see if they sound familiar.

1. CAUSE: Burn Out. You’re exhausted by either working too many hours, straining over a creative project too long, stress in your personal life or just tired of life in general. Thus, your brain has shut down all auxiliary functions beyond survival: no creativity allowed!

CURE: Rest, Rejuvenation and Invisibility. How to achieve this varies per individual, your preferences, your time. Your wallet! Sleep is number one for healing. Spending time being still with nature is another. You have my permission to have NO AGENDA. None. Say no to friends, to appointments, to taking on more responsibilities. Try this for one week. Learn to be invisible to anyone non-critical who wants your time and energy. Save it for yourself.

2. CAUSE: Creative Stewing. You’ve decided on a project or a direction, and now the creative parts of your brain are mulling over the possibilities. This happens periodically during a creative project, as we cycle through chunks of creative inspiration. It often occurs during editing, when you’re trying to assess root problems and best solutions. You can’t *yet see the answers, because your brain hasn’t *yet discovered them.

CURE: Step Away from the Knife. No more slicing and dicing. Your creativity has become a dangerous weapon and you could do harm (to yourself, the work, and maybe to others getting in your way). Better to walk away from the project altogether. Distract yourself with other creative (like music or movies), physical (like gardening or exercising), or mental (like reading a science book) ventures. By expanding your awareness and experience in other areas, you will unconsciously expand your creative ingredients.

3. CAUSE: Creative Paralysis. You’ve worked a piece to death. You have energy and drive and ambition, but absolutely no idea what to do. Stumped, dumfounded, stuck, lost... are common terms to describe how you feel.

CURE: Walk Out. Get up, turn off the computer, or set aside the pen/pencil, and aim for the door. Apply the cure for Creative Stewing. At the same, seek outside input, such as colleagues, critiques, friends. Children. Yes, you heard me. Ever hear that expression “out of the mouths of babes?” Well, kids have unique perspectives and creative impulses that adults have beaten out of themselves while growing up. Animals and nature are also good for shifting your brain back into a creative gear. My favorite prescription for this one: go to the ocean. Water is both healing and relaxing, and it has a way of flooding the energy of the universe into your soul with each wave.

And here's my bonus type of writers block....

4. CAUSE: Not Knowing What to Write.
CURE: Take my writing class. Yes, shameless promotion. So flog me.

5 comments:

  1. Well three out of four ain't bad as they say! Number 1,2,3 describe me right about now and I'm going to my room to blast some music and sort the laundry (which I personally love to do along with windows--no seriously)and let my brain rest and relax for a while! I LOVE this post!
    Patti
    P.I. Barrington

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine,
    So fun to *see* you again! What a great blog and tips!

    Creative stewing and creative paralysis are my constant companions when I'm working on a project. I'll try out one idea only to find it sounds dumb when I get it on paper.

    When I used to paint, I'd do the same thing. I'd stare at the array of colors and mix them to make more colors, until I had way too many choices and became paralyzed. My instructor showed us a study he did using only black, white, and one other color. The paintings were beautiful. I learned that having limits can actually be good for one's creativity.

    Working on a deadline for the first time, I learned this firsthand. Paralysis and self-doubt reared their ugly heads like I knew they would, but I no longer had endless time to stew and ponder, to tinker with my story until it felt "right." I had to muscle through, to keep marching ahead, and now that it's done and polished, I absolutely love it. (Crossing my fingers my editor does too!)

    Since my brain is pretty much fried right now, I'm going to take your advice and go walking on the beach this next week. That sounds like a wonderful way to rejuvenate myself after this deadline.

    ~Laurie

    I've learned I need to muscle through, get something down on paper regardless of whether it's ridiculous or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mainly for me I have the opposite problem- too many ideas, too little time to write them down. There are times when I feel like I am not as energized as others.

    I am also a runner and have discovered that running, as you noted-a physical activity, turns the creative juices to boil.

    Showering, gardening, and other activities where I am less likely to have a pen or recorder handy are other times when inspiration strikes.

    Also, I did get my novel's title from my daughter. We were spending time in the pool and she started talking about something and "Bing!" there it was. My title. I have always had a hard time coming up with those when I am trying, they only come when I am engaged in another activity.

    I have learned that I can't rush my process. I generally need time to work, then time to do other activities and let things settle, then my subconscious has a chance to work.

    When I first started I didn't believe that there was part of this process I had no control over. It is so true for me and I need to allow that part of me to work, or the whole won't come together.

    Thanks for posting all this. I will be sure to visit more in the future.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this. Yes, 3 out of 4! Do I get some gold stars? :-)

    The stagnation and paralysis were crippling and I couldn't write to save my life. But I kept the page up, kept looking at it. Kept going to my critique partners with ideas. Finally, something clicked, and a dribble leaked over the dam. I'm getting ready for the whole dam to break now, and I'm excited about my story again.

    Persistence. I hate it - but it works.

    When do you have writing classes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mons. You definitely get 3 gold stars for honesty! Keep spending time with your art -- at least 15 minutes a day -- and something will eventually give way!

    My writing class starts tonight, but I will post the next session at the top of this blog... where I've posted an editing class starting later this month, in case you're interested ;)

    ReplyDelete